Saturday, June 27, 2009

Rainboots

That’s all I wanted for my birthday – rainboots. I first got onto the idea in Costa Rica, trekking through the rainforest in knee-high, borrowed wellingtons. Tropical rain falling hard and fast, waterfalls gushing, rivers rushing, primitive and earthy aromas dancing, birds and critters chirping and rustling, I felt completely content and alive. The stresses of civilization and jungles of the concrete type left far, far behind. "But what about tropical snakes and poison dart frogs," you say? No worries, I’m in my wellies! "Cross that rocky, flooded stream?" Right on through, in the wellies. "Scale that muddy slope off the path?" No worries, these boots will get me there.
I quickly realized that deep into the torrential rains of a tropical jungle, I was invincible in my rainboots!! I could go anywhere, get through anything, with no limitations. Exploration liberation! And I dare say, comfort that your high-heeled blisters will never know. So when my birthday came around this year and I considered how I wanted to mark the beginning of the next year of my life, it was rainboots. And though my DSW city boots are whimsically covered in butterflies and chocolates, instead of army green like the ones I wore in Costa Rica, they make me feel just as invincible and liberated. Here’s to celebrating the rainy season! What makes you feel invincible?

No comments:

Post a Comment